Fees, taxes and donations

Your fees will vary depending on where you live, vehicle weight, plate type and more.

This page only provides tools for estimating your fees and a list of potential fees.

To find out what your specific fees will be, call our office.

Get an estimate

If your Washington vehicle tabs or boat decals expire within 6 months:

Estimate your Regional Transit Authority (RTA) excise tax.

The visual guide below can help you understand how fees are calculated

Download this guide


Local transportation benefit district fees

RCW 36.73.020 allows city or county governments to create transportation benefit districts and impose an additional vehicle registration fee to fund local transportation projects.

Transportation benefit districts and fees

If you live in any of the following locations, you must pay an additional transportation benefit district fee when you renew your vehicle tabs:
Note: You may see this fee listed as "TBD" during renewal.

Transportation benefit districtFeeEffective date
(Tabs expiring on or after…)
Location code
Anacortes #1 $20 April 1, 2015 29-01
Bainbridge Island
$20 August 1, 2013 18-04
Battle Ground
$20 July 1, 2015 06-01
Black Diamond (blackdiamond.wa.us)
$20 April 1, 2016 17-05
$20 July 1, 2012 18-01
509.686.4041 ext. 12
$20 August 1, 2017 09-01
Buckley (cityofbuckley.com)
$20 February 1, 2014 27-02
Burien #1
$10 February 1, 2011 17-34
$20 November 1, 2013 27-03
Covington (covingtonwa.gov)
$20 June 1, 2016 17-12
Des Moines
$40 September 1, 2009 17-09
$20 September 1, 2013 27-04
$20 July 1, 2014 27-20
East Wenatchee
$20 August 1, 2013 09-02
$20 March 1, 2013 27-05
Electric City
$20 May 1, 2013 13-02
Elmer City
$20 August 1, 2016 24-04
$20 September 1, 2009 31-04
$20 September 1, 2014 17-11
$20 March 1, 2015 31-05 and 42-05
$20 January 1, 2017 27-06
$20 February 1, 2012 39-01
Granite Falls $20 January 1, 2016 31-07
$20 October 1, 2013 08-02
$20 July 1, 2013 08-03
$20 June 1, 2013 17-38
$20 December 1, 2012 19-03
Lake Forest Park
$40 September 1, 2009 17-17
Lakewood $20 April 1, 2015 27-21
Longview (mylongview.com)
$20 August 1, 2017 08-04
Lynnwood (lynnwoodwa.gov)
$40 July 1, 2011 31-10
$20 December 1, 2011 39-04
Maple Valley
$20 July 1, 2013 17-20
Mercer Island
Email: mitbd@mercergov.org
$20 June 1, 2015 17-19
Moses Lake (cityofml.com)
$20 October 1, 2017 13-09
Mountlake Terrace
$20 August 1, 2012 31-13
Normandy Park
$20 March 1, 2016 17-21
$40 October 1, 2009 34-03
360.892.2219, ext. 133
$20 February 1, 2013 27-10
Port Orchard
$20 February 1, 2017 18-02
$20 November 1, 2009 03-03
Richland (www.ci.richland.wa.us)
$20 January 1, 2018 03-04
$20 January 1, 2015 27-12
Royal City
$20 November 1, 2012 13-11
$80 June 1, 2015 17-26
Sedro-Woolley #1
$20 July 1, 2015 29-08
$20 February 1, 2010 17-37
425.888.1555, ext. 1135
$20 March 1, 2011 17-28
Soap Lake
$20 November 1, 2013 13-12
$20 September 1, 2011 32-10
$20 June 1, 2013 27-17
$20 December 1, 2012 39-10
University Place
$20 July 1, 2014 27-19
Vancouver (cityofvancouver.us)
$20 July 1, 2016 06-05
$20 April 1, 2013 39-12
$20 August 1, 2012 04-05
$20 January 1, 2015 27-18
$20 July 1, 2012 39-14

Vehicles subject to fees

  • Passenger vehicles
  • Trucks that weigh 6,000 pounds or less
  • Motorcycles
  • Commercial passenger vehicles and trucks that weigh 6,000 pounds or less
  • Commercial trailers
  • Combination trucks that weigh 6,000 pounds or less
  • Tow trucks
  • House moving dollies
  • Trucks used exclusively for hauling logs that weigh 6,000 pounds or less
  • Taxicabs
  • For-hire or stage vehicles with 6 seats or less
  • For-hire or stage vehicles with 7 or more seats that weigh 6,000 pounds or less
  • Private use trailers over 2,000 pounds
  • Motorcycle trailers
  • Travel trailers
  • Fixed load vehicles that weigh 6,000 pounds or less
  • Mobile homes licensed as vehicles

Exempt vehicles

  • All farm vehicles
  • Campers
  • Off-road vehicles
  • Snowmobiles
  • Mopeds
  • Personal use trailers with a single axle and less than 2,000 pounds scale weight
  • Combination trailers
  • Trailers used exclusively for hauling logs
  • Horseless carriage, collector, or restored-plate vehicles
  • Converter gear
  • Government vehicles
  • Private school vehicles
  • Vehicles properly registered to disabled American veterans

How a transportation benefit district works

Once a local transportation benefit district is set up, the district's board of directors may vote to charge a local vehicle licensing fee due when a vehicle owner buys new tabs.

  • The transportation benefit district board has the authority to impose a fee of up to $20 per vehicle without voter approval.
  • A transportation benefit district may impose a vehicle renewal fee of up to $100 per vehicle or seek other sources of funding if approved by voters.

Related laws

Use tax: Vehicles & boats

Use tax is a tax on items used in Washington when sales tax hasn’t been paid. When you purchase a vehicle or vessel from a private party, you’re required by law to pay use tax when the vehicle or vessel title is transferred.

Use tax rates

Use tax is calculated at the same rate as the sales tax at the purchaser’s address. In addition to the general use tax rate, vehicles are charged an additional 0.3% motor vehicle sales/use tax.

Vehicles received as gifts

  • If you can provide proof that the person who gave you the vehicle or vessel paid sales or use tax on the vehicle or vessel, no use tax is due.
  • If the person who gave you the gift owned the vehicle for 7 years or more and is from a state or province with sales tax, it will be assumed that tax was paid and no proof is needed.
  • If the vehicle or vessel is coming from a state or province without sales or use tax, use tax is due.

Military personnel

If you buy a vehicle while on active duty with the military, you may be exempt from paying use tax. For more information, see Tax exemptions: Military personnel.

Frequently asked questions

Why use average fair market value and not actual sale price?
Fair market value reflects the value of a vehicle according to the retail selling price at the place of use, compared to similar vehicles of like quality or character. The actual selling price may or may not be the same as the average fair market value in cases when an individual sells a used vehicle or vessel.

How is the fair market value determined?
We get average fair market values from Price Digests, an industry standard source.

What if a vehicle or vessel is worth less than the average fair market value?
To establish that a vehicle or vessel is worth less than the average fair market value, the buyer may provide:

  • An estimate of repairs prepared by a registered mechanic.
  • An appraisal prepared by a registered dealer.
  • Documentation from another value source, such as National Auto Dealers Association (NADA) or Kelley Blue Book that cites a lower average retail value for the vehicle or vessel. The purchase price will be accepted if it is within $2,000 of the value cited by the alternate source. Either photocopies of printed materials or a printout from the Internet are acceptable.
  • A completed Department of Revenue Declaration of Buyer and Seller Regarding Value of Use Vehicle Sold form stating the selling price and condition of the vehicle. Both the buyer and the seller must sign the form. These are subject to review.

Does the Department of Revenue use the same valuing system?
Yes, the Department of Revenue uses exactly the same values as the Department of Licensing. Since 1999, both agencies use an automated valuing system that receives data from Price Digests.

For more information

Related laws

RCW 82.12.010: Definition of use tax

Related information


State Parks Account

How to donate

A $5 donation to keep state parks open is included in the total cost of your vehicle tab renewal per RCW 46.16A.090. To donate, simply renew your tabs and pay the amount shown.

Your donation to the State Parks Account keeps state parks open. With your support, more than 100 state parks all over Washington provide beautiful settings for camping, picnicking, hiking, bicycling, boating, or just relaxing in the peace and quiet of nature.

How to opt out

If you don’t want to donate, you may opt out. This will subtract $5 from your tab renewal cost. Here's how:

  • While renewing online, we'll ask you if you want to donate. Choose “No, I don't want to donate. Please remove the $5 donation from my fees.”
  • If you renew by mail or in person, use the worksheet on the back of your renewal notice to subtract $5 from the total amount.

How to get a refund

If you make a donation in error, you may request a refund (parks.state.wa.us) from Washington State Parks.

To learn more about the donations, visit the State Parks website.

Organ and Tissue Donation Awareness Account

How to donate

To donate to the Organ and Tissue Donation Awareness Account when you renew your tabs:

  • If you renew online, add the amount you want to donate. We'll add this amount to your renewal.
  • If you renew by mail or at an office, use the worksheet on the back of your renewal notice to add your donation.

When you renew your vehicle tabs, you may choose to donate $1 or more. Your donation supports outreach and education about organ, eye, and tissue donation. For more information, visit Organ Donor.

Did you donate your vehicle?

Make sure you report it sold, you can let us know it was a donation.

For questions about if your donation is tax deductible, check with your tax advisor.

Related information

Alternative Fuel Vehicles and Plug-In Hybrids Washington State Tax Exemptions

Getting a new electric, plug-in hybrid, hydrogen, or natural gas vehicle? You may be able to get a tax exemption!

Starting July 1, 2016, if you buy or lease a new passenger car, light duty truck, or medium duty passenger vehicle which is exclusively powered by a clean alternative fuel or a plug-in hybrid that can travel at least 30 miles on battery power alone, you may be eligible for a tax exemption. The exemptions are:

  • For new vehicles eligible for use on Washington public roads. Used vehicles aren't eligible.
  • For the first 7,500 vehicles titled in Washington between July 15, 2015 and July 1, 2019:
    • 5,347 vehicles are qualified as of August 31, 2017.
  • Only available for these vehicles:


    • BMW i3
    • BMW i3 Range Extender
    • Chevrolet Bolt
    • Chevrolet Spark EV
    • Fiat 500e
    • Ford Focus Electric
    • Honda Fit EV 2014
    • Hyundai Ioniq electric vehicle
    • Kia Soul Electric
    • Mercedes-Benz B250e
    • Mercedes-Benz B-class
    • Mercedes-Benz Smart for two electric drive
    • Mitsubishi i-MiEV
    • Nissan Leaf
    • Tesla Model 3
    • Volkswagen e-Golf

    Plug-in hybrid electric

    • 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
    • Chevrolet Volt
    • Hyundai Ioniq plug-in hybrid

    Natural gas

    • Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
    • Chevrolet 2500 25 4x2 HD 1WT CNG
    • Chevrolet Express Cargo 2500
    • Chevrolet Express Cargo 3500
    • GMC Savana Cargo 2500
    • GMC 3500 4X2 4x2 35 SLE DRW CNG

    Neighborhood electric

    • Canadian Electric Vehicles Might-E Truck
    • E-ride EXV2 and EXV4 (manufacturer E-Ride Industries)
    • Electro Bubble Buddy LSV 8 Passenger Roadsters Low Speed Vehicle (Sold by Moto Electric Vehicle's)
    • Polaris GEMs (e2, e4, e6, eL XD, and eM 1400 LSV)
    • Vantage trucks (EVX1000 and EVR1000) and passenger van (EVC1000 and EVP1000)
    • Xtreme Green Police Pro ATV
    • Eco Truck and Eco Van (Wuling Automobile distributed by EcoCentre Electric)

If you qualify for the exemption

How it's applied depends on where you buy your vehicle. If you buy it from a:

  • Washington dealer, they will process the transaction without collecting the exempt taxes.
  • Dealer outside of Washington, bring your paperwork to a vehicle licensing office. You won't pay the exempt part of the tax.

For more information check the Department of Revenue's Incentive Programs: Deferrals, Exemptions, and Credits page:

  • Look for "Clean Alternative Fuel and Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles - Sales/Use Tax Exemptions"

Related information

Fee Refunds

Use the Vehicle/Vessel Refund Application to apply for a refund of vehicle or boat (vessel) fees.

Additional documentation is required in the following situations:

The vehicle or vessel was sold or traded before the new registration period started, or the license was purchased in error after the owner sold or traded the vehicle or vessel

The following must be received before the new registration period starts:

  • Unused, license tab or decal that was not placed on the vehicle or vessel, or tab and license plate, if new plate was issued and tab was affixed when you received it.
  • The current "original" registration
  • Proof of sale documentation with VIN/HIN, such as:
    • Vehicle/vessel report of sale, and
    • Bill of sale, or
    • Invoice showing trade-in to dealer.

The vehicle or vessel was destroyed/totaled before the new registration period started

Proof of destruction or total loss (including VIN/HIN, and date of loss), such as:

  • Insurance report,
  • Wrecker bill of sale,
  • The "current original" Certificate of Ownership (title) — write “destroyed” across the page and include the date of destruction, or
  • Notarized Certificate of Fact to include the month, day and year when last operated.

The vehicle or vessel is registered in Washington and is now registered in another state by you

  • Copy of the current out-of-state registration in your name

The vehicle or vessel has been removed from Washington State before the start of the new registration period

Documentation proving the vehicle or vessel was permanently removed from Washington State. Proof may include any of the following items:

  • Copy of registration from another state,
  • Report of sale,
  • Bill of sale, or
  • Dealer invoice showing trade-in, including VIN/HIN.

The vehicle or vessel was registered in Washington twice for the same registration period

  • The "current original" registration and unused license tab or decal.
  • If new plates were issued, submit the plates.

100% Disabled American Veterans and Former Prisoners of War exempt from licensing fees

  • If you are a Disabled American Veteran and requesting a refund for your vehicle registration fees you must first be approved by our Disabled Veterans Desk. For information please call 360.902.3780. Once approved and you have received your new DAV license plates, submit any registration, tab or license plate with your application for a refund.

Non-Resident Military Exempt from RTA/Sound Transit excise tax

Enrolled tribal member Exempt from RTA/Sound Transit excise tax

To verify if your primary address is outside the RTA/Sound Transit boundary visit the Sound Transit website.

Taxes and fees we can't refund

Sales or use tax

  • To apply for a refund of sales or use tax collected by the Department of Licensing, you must complete and submit the Department of Revenue Application for Refund of Use Tax form.
  • For any other questions or for more information contact the Department of Revenue at 800.647.7706 or visit their website: http://dor.wa.gov/.

Filing or subagent fees

Contact the vehicle licensing office where you purchased your registration if you have questions.


  1. Complete the form and print it on white paper.
  2. Mail the completed form with any required supporting documents to:
    Refunds and Title Services
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9037
    Olympia WA 98507-9037