Location:    2 Cowlitz Street West

                    Castle Rock WA 98611

Mailing:      PO Box 1770
                    Castle Rock WA 98611

Phone:        360-274-2222

Fax:             360-274-9999



Monday - Friday: 9:00am to 5:00pm

Saturday: 9:00am to 1:00pm

Report of sale

Things to know

As of July 1, 2017 you'll pay $8.75 to report the sale of your vehicle.


  1. Find out why you should file
  2. Gather the information you'll need
  3. File your report
  4. Update your Good-to-Go! account, if needed

1. Find out why you should file

Whenever you sell or give up ownership of a vehicle (including cars, trucks, motorcycles, registered off-road vehicles, and trailers), file a report of sale so you're not held liable for any tolling bills, towing charges, or civil and criminal liabilities incurred by the new owner.

The new owner is responsible for transferring the title.

File a report of sale any time you:

  • Sell,
    • Privately,
    • On consignment, or
    • Out of state (Must have a WA license plate),
  • Trade to a private party or dealer,
  • Gift,
  • Donate,
  • Give to a wrecking yard,
  • Turn over to an insurance company, or
  • Dispose of your vehicle.

If you've sold a boat, see Report the sale of a boat.

2. Gather the information you'll need

  • License plate number,
  • Date of the sale or transfer,
  • Sale price — enter zero if a gift or inheritance,
  • Name and address of the person or organization who took ownership of the vehicle, and
  • VIN — Vehicle ID number.

Make sure everything is correct before you file. If you find an error after you've filed, you'll have to visit a vehicle licensing location to explain the error. The report will be deleted and you'll need to file another one.

3. File your report

You should file within 5 days. There's no late fee for filing after 5 days, but you may be held liable for any financial, criminal or civil liabilities that the new owner may incur. It's in your best interest to file as soon as possible.

The fee is $8.75, you can file your report:

After you've filed:

  • Keep a copy for your records. If you need a copy, submit a Vehicle Record Request and fee.
  • If you end up keeping the vehicle, visit a vehicle licensing location to have the report of sale deleted.

Want to leave feedback on an office visit, phone call, or our online services like tab renewal or address change? Tell us how we're doing: Take a survey

4. Update your Good To Go! account, if needed

If you have a Department of Transportation Good To Go! account, update it to show you don't own the vehicle anymore:

Related information